Spam mail is a kind of commercial advertising. Spamming is an easy form of advertising a product because email sending much cheaper than other advertising methods. Even if a small number of recipients buy the advertised product, the advertiser will get back more than the advertising cost.
Even though spam mails are mostly in English, it comes in other languages also including Chinese, Korean and Asian languages.
How Spammers Get Emails?
Spammers harvest Email addresses from the following sources mainly:
Publicly accessible sources like Social Media, News Portals, Search Engines
Using software programs to collect bulk addresses on the web
By guessing common usernames at a given domain name.
Phishing is a kind of spam where messages coming as it’s sent from some legitimate sources like financial institutions, banks as an attempt to steal recipients’ sensitive data (like bank account/credit card information) on fraud web sites.
In fact, banks or financial organizations will never ask sensitive information online. So, it’s advised to verify the origin of the message before filling any information.
How to avoid Spam?
- NEVER open suspicious email or attachments. It may have viruses or worms which can infect your PC and later it can be used to send spam.
- Use firewall on your PC to stop attacks from people who’re attempting to penetrate to your system and use it to send spam.
- While posting on forums or other public places, do not add your Email ID in your signature.
- Setting up autoreplies in Email is good, but it may ensure the existence of your email ID to spammers.
- If the message arrives from a strange or random letters of domain, they might be spam. Stay away from such mails.
- Also, avoid using your real email addresses in order to sign up for free downloads.
- Do not purchase anything through spam messages you receive, so as not to support spammers economically.
- While in chat rooms, don’t display your Email address publicly
- Some spam mails would ask recipients to provide their bank account details. If the recipient gives away those details, their bank account balance will be nill within seconds. This kind of spam is called ‘scam’.
- Other popular kind of spamming, is Nigerian letters which would be a request to be their business partner in the recipient’s country and later on they will ask some initial investment. So, be careful about it.
- Personal finance
- Adult content
- Education and training
New Spam: Ant-Spam Campaign
There has been arrived a new kind of Spam which advertises Anti-Spam campaigns. People who’re eager to know about the anti-spam facts, will be taken to a Trojan site where it uses the infected system to send spam emails to the contact list stored in the PC.
CCNP Security Training in Cochin
Soften Technologies offers CCNP Security Training courses along with software programming courses in Cochin, Kerala. CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate), CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional), CCIE (Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert), MCSE (Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert) certifications, RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer), and Linux are offered along with software courses like ASP.NET, PHP, Java, Android, Embedded Systems.
CALL: 8129199511, 0484 4037036 for your queries.